Swing Physics test

I wanted to try the realism of the physics of Ragdoll.
The first thing that popped into my head was a sausage on a swing.

You can see the swing building momentum, so I’m pleased with the result, but it would probably have to go on for another 1000 frames and with much better animation to actually get the doggie swinging like nobody’s business.

4 Likes

Because obviously. xD Haha, nice work. :slight_smile:

Hi,

This is so cool.
How do you setup swing rig? Is it possible to build rope rig which can interact with character’s hand?

Thanks,

Hyunju

Hi @Hyc!

I can’t speak for @pooter, but you can achieve that setup by selecting each link in order and running Create Dynamic Control. And yes, if you also make the hand dynamic, it’ll interact with the chain too. :slight_smile:

Have you gotten an invite to the Early Access? If not, ping me and I’ll set you up so you can take it for a swing. xD

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the tip.
I haven’t gotten an invite to Early Access. I’m testing the Ragdoll dynamics and tried to use it for game production.
It’s not official yet though. I reported to the Animation director and T.A. I need to show more proven examples to the company.
We’re looking for a ragdoll simulation tool like Weightshift or ragdoll dynamics.

Talk soon,

Hyunju

Here’s another version of the above, you can see how it’s all one long joint chain, including the seat.

The two blue capsules at the top are the “Passive” menu item. Selecting a rigid, and clicking “Passive” will generate a passive transform for the selected rigid, which appear blue in the viewport. That then becomes the passive animation used in the simulation.

2 Likes

Cool. How did you attach the seat? Is it just a normal Maya constrain?

The seat is just another joint, that I changed the shape type to from Capsule to Box. :slight_smile:

Otherwise, you could use two separate chains, with a separate box for the seat, and then use the Ragdoll | Point Constraint to attach both ends. The pivot would end up in the middle, so you would also need to move it, using Ragdoll | Rigging | Edit Constraint Frames

Cool, I’ll try to make it.

Here, I put together a little 3-step tutorial on this. :slight_smile:

Step 1 - Setup

Step 2 - Constraints

Step 3 - Animate

Hope it helps!

4 Likes

Been travelling back in time :timer_clock: through the forums, to learn more regarding all the possible use cases for ragdoll.

I updated @marcus simple swing example to work with ragdoll 2022.07.20

swingExample_pni_v0006.zip (20.5 KB)

And I also recorded a quick video showing how I went about updating it in case others find it useful and want to try it.

Thanks for sharing, this is how I would do it too. And I like your use of filtering in the Outliner!

How would you go about creating proper geometry for the swing so it could be used in a production? It looks great that we can have a set up like this but I don’t see any real geometry to apply the motion to for a final version.

Would be great if you could share any thoughts on this @boricuapab @marcus

@James you can just make 2 cylinders with enough poly’s to bend like a rope and skin them to the joints, same for the seat but not as high poly as it wouldn’t need to bend, then you can run the ragdoll bake anim to apply it onto the poly geo.

1 Like

Ah ok, thanks that makes sense, I just noticed it was setup without geometry and thought maybe ragdoll might have generated some rough geometry to work with.

@boricuapab is right. If you have a normal swing rig with real skinned geometry etc. then Ragdoll could be used to simulate the controls on that rig. The controls would then affect the joints, which in turn affect the geometry, as if you manually animated the controls.

1 Like