Simulated bodies delaying too much

Hi there guys,
I would like to ask some help on studies I’m doing on flying creatures. On this specific situation I feel that simulated bodies are getting too much delay from the animated rig. How to fix it and what would be your suggestion for this setup?

(I’m using pin constrains on head, chest and hip for holding the full character in place. And pin constrains on hands for the first part contacting the ground)

Oh man, that looks great!!

I can see what you mean by lagging behind; this is Translate Damping on the Pin Constraints. Try lowering that, and it’ll be snappier (but also more elastic/bouncy, it’s a balance).

Other than that, it’s generally advisable to keep children smaller than their parents. That sphere you’ve got at the top of the arms/wings is quite heavy, and the wings add a lot of weight too. If you thicken up the arms - or reduce the Density of the hand/fingers - you’ll find they also become stronger and more capable of keeping up.

hummm, I see.
I replace that ball by a proper mesh, its more balanced now. :+1:
Also, for a better collision with the rock, what would be your advise here?

I add it as environment and got good and bad results, too much intersections on the (ball) hands.
Nevertheless, I’m going to do another run with this new hands mesh.
Cheers

New pass, hands are getting better, however feet are a bit funky.
I believe the base animation is intersecting the rock. I will need to do a pass on that.

Awesome. For the feet, are they not behind a rock at the start? I would probably let them be Behaviour=Animated until they are visible and need some motion.

For the environment, I would probably stick with Markers set to Animated because your triangle mesh seems quite sharp, easy for things to get stuck. The Marker meshes (convex hulls) would smooth things out.

On a separate note, we’re just about to launch a little promotion whereby users who make a tutorial for Ragdoll gets a free licence, if their tutorial reaches 1,000 views on YouTube. This seems like an excellent case for that. 1,000 views gets you a Ragdoll Freelancer licence, whereby 10,000 views gets you Ragdoll Unlimited. Would that of interest? :slight_smile:

Hummm, sound very interesting.
And what the tutorial should be about. Like how I’m setting up this shots, for instance?

Just to let you, collision on rock are working much better with the technique of using a new marker for the rock.

1 Like

Yes, an excellent example.

In this case, I’m personally interested in how you separate between what to animate and what to simulate, and I expect others would be too. Seeing the process should make a good tutorial easily reaching 1,000 views. I’ll help promote some tutorials on our social media too to get a higher view count.

Have a think, and I expect I’ll make the announcement next Monday or so. The post (on this forum) will have some tips and tricks for how to make a solid tutorial and increase the odds of attracting views. I expect we’ll run it until late December.

Ok, I’m on it.

I’m not very photogenic and not “social media” publisher. I’m more of an observer. but I’ll try my best and give it a go.

Also, this might be very useful for my training, which a good thing.

Indeed, having to explain something is often a great way to test your own knowledge.

I wouldn’t be too concerned with your social media skills, but I’ll include some tips and tricks I’ve prepared for the announcement:

1. Keep it short; aim for a video whereby anything added or removed would make it worse
  2. Start by showing the final result, e.g. loading the finished scene
  3. Clear presentation, here’s a list of things that can help make a solid video.
  • Scale Maya UI by 1.5x or 2x
  • Record at 1080p, 30 or 60 fps
  • Avoid changing the Maya UI layout during the video
  • Avoid needless mouse movements; the eyes follow the mouse
  • Make sure audio is at a consistent 60-80% of max volume
  • Use the “Classic” Maya layout/workspace
  • Keep videos below 7 mins, separate into parts for more.
  • Hide unnecessary viewport elements, like limits and guides
  • Hide the Command Line panel

For recording, there’s free options available, such as:

Let me know if you need any more help, you’ll be the first! :slight_smile:

Awesome, I’ll get back to you when I have something, :+1:
thanks

1 Like