Recording Simulation in Unlimited progress stuck at 0%

Hey Ragdoll team. I have a file that is bare bones. And still has the problem. Only nodes required for the sim. all unknown plugins removed. Nothing appears in the Output window. Here is the script editor, et al.

Can I send you the maya file? It is cleared of all references and namespaces.

Yes that would be excellent, if you save it as .ma and create a .zip archive out of it, you should be able to drop it straight into your forum post!

I emailed it to you and jason it keeps failing to upload to this forum. it’s 13Meg.

Got it, and took it for a spin. However I’m unable to replicate the problem, in Maya 2020 and 2022.

Is there anything I can do to try and force the problem?

Here I’ve broken down your scene into 3 smaller versions of itself, could you see whether any of these still cause the issue for you?

minimal_1_2_3.zip (1.0 MB)

I think you may want to remove the vidcap. it shows your license number… :wink:

1 Like

trying now.

Thanks for the concern, but the number is also in the docs. :sweat_smile: :blush:

all 3 files fail to record. I’m going to uninstall and reinstall Ragdoll

Hm, nothing would change with a reinstall, if there is anything to do with global settings you could try temporarily removing/moving your Maya preferences. Ragdoll stores its own preferences there also. If you want more surgical control (and keep your other preferences) you can also run this.

Also if you are able, try the minimal_3.ma in a different Maya, or a different machine. There is barely anything in that scene.

Can you also confirm you are able to create a new marker in a new scene, and record this?

tried exporting .rag file and reimporting and it was still hanging.

minimal_3 freezes in maya 2022.2 python 2.
minimal_3 freezes in maya 2022.2 python 3.
minimal_3 freezes in maya 2020.4

I’ll try it on my other machine, but I’ll have to install maya etc. it will take awhile.

Have a go with DG evaluation mode, and possibly Serial too. Try hiding the solver before recording, and potentially switching from Direct X 11 to OpenGL Compatibility or Core too.

SUCCESS. Okay. I have found what I think it may be: Python module clobbering.
I have a company Maya launcher wrapper that seems to be causing the issue. When I launch maya outside of the company maya launcher everything works fine. whew. I can work this way if need be.
I will take a look at the python paths, subtract one at a time from the company launcher and narrow it down to the offending package/module. Thank you for all your hard work.

1 Like

Great news! I am very interested in what could have caused this, so if you find something let me know so I can see if it’s something I can protect Ragdoll against.

@Geordie_Martinez Did you make any progress on this? I’ve gotten another bug report that sounds awfully similar to this, but it’s not clear what Python modules were involved here.

Not yet. I’m in crunch mode so just using the vanilla maya to record it. I plan on attacking this problem next week though.

Do you have a list of external and/or builtin module imports I can try? For example if you’re importing a module called numpy and include your own version, but we have our own version and ours is first in the python path I can just compare and find the culprit.

Another user dug a little deeper into this and found that in their case it was due to their rig having nodes written in Python participate in the Maya evaluation of the rig. Such as a squash and stretch node, or something that would be evaluated during recording.

I haven’t yet replicated this, and it’s not entirely clear why it only happens during record (and also caching) but not during regular playback, since the mechanics are all the same. But is it possible your rig also had a Python node in it?

It might take some detective work to find out, but one way would be to look at your Plug-in Manager for any plug-in that registers a new node type, and then search for that node type in your rig.

1. Find .py plug-in
  2. Find dependency node
  3. Search for the type
  4. Select it, to see where it fits into the rig and what it does.

1 Like

Hi @marcus, just curious, are there any environment variables that Ragdoll Dynamics sets during baking? Just thinking there might be a way to disable any expression node during Ragdoll baking.

Hey @backwheelbates, welcome to the forums! :partying_face:

No, there are no environment variables being set. I can make one, that could be useful. There’s a new release dropping in the next few days, I’ll include it there.

Give this new release a try, I found at least a few cases where it froze at 0% that got squashed with this update.