Quick Overlap with Ragdoll

Hi guys,
I would like to share my first Tutorial on Ragdoll Dynamics.
On this episode 01 I go through step by step on how to quickly add a dynamic tail on your character, with overlap and collisions, using Ragdoll.

My intent is to cover the very basic foundations and go through the process, as any other artist trying Ragdoll for the very first time.

Hope you like it and share it with your friends.
Cheers
Jose Carlos P

5 Likes

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing, this is an excellent usecase. Will you be posting this somewhere on social media? I’d love to repost it on our Ragdoll channel on LinkedIn to help get you some more views!

https://youtu.be/1Tq-WXdkRb8?t=144

Making each child smaller than its parent is great. It helps create some falloff to the softness of each control, each child becoming less stiff its parent. And it’s great that you demonstrate the effect of mass by increasing the size of one or more Markers.

Looking forward to more of this! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yes, I was considering to republish it on LinkedIn, but if you want to, you can go ahead of my, and use this video, no probl.

Thanks, that was exactly the idea.

Posted here:

uhhhhh, awesome!!! :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Good morning guys,
I would like to post a link to a 2nd part on this tutorial on Quick Overlap with Ragdoll,
just an extra clip focus on baking Ragdoll simulations to anim layers:

Cheers

Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

This rotation flip is what the “Euler” option in the Record dialog should address, looks like it isn’t. Will need to investigate this. It should do exactly what you did, except automatically once recording has finished.

Another thing that could make the the tail even more convincing is to assign to one more parent, e.g. the torso of the rat, and let the root of the tail remain dynamic, but with a high stiffness. That way, it will still appear rigid, but flex a little bit as he sits on the ground. As though the butt was soft, like a real rat.

This rotation flip is what the “Euler option in the Record dialog"

I always leave that option on, but sometimes doesn’t work. I believe it has to do with robustness of the rig.

That’s a good point, the torso parent would contribute to a better simulation.