Locomotion Front Feet Detection

Hello!
Now that I have Locomotion working, I’d like to get this Quadruped walking/running like a boss. Once set up though, the creature walks to its left instead of going forward. I’ve tried selecting the feet in different orders, but the walk always goes left. The Right Feet walk as the hind feet, and Left walk as the front.
If I move the target to be in front, the feet keep their setup, with its right feet still behave as they were setup walking to the Left.
How can I modify which direction is Forward during Setup?
How can I pick which feet are the front, back, etc?

Thank you!

Heya!

The initial direction is only a default and is based on what Ragdoll considers to be the front of your character. The front is based on the body and foot positions. Which in turn is based on an anatomy such as a horse or a dog, where the narrowest axis represents forwards/backwards and the length of the character represents side-to-side.

If your character is wide, like a crab, then it would assume the wrong axis.

However it doesn’t actually know anything about front or back or sideways, so this information is solely used to determine where to put the target end position. If you move the end position to the side of your character then that will be identical to if it determined that to be front/back.

Just checking in on this, did this work out for you @isai?

Hi @marcus!

Your suspicion was correct, the feet were just a bit wider to the sides than they were to the front. I brought the feet in a bit, and the walk was generated pointing forward.

I also tested what you said about moving the end position to the front of the sideways-generated walk, but it didn’t change the footsteps appropriately. It kept the key timings that were drawn by default. Is there another setting to regenerate the footsteps’ gait after changing the direction?

Great!

The gait (a.k.a. step sequence) should work regardless of the direction, so I’m not 100% sure what you mean here. Would it be possible to either share what you see, or to make a minimal example with just a box and some sphere feet?

In other news, Locomotion 2.0 is landing on Friday which improves a lot of this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would it be possible to either share what you see, or to make a minimal example with just a box and some sphere feet?

I’m not able to share the rig, but I can share the process.

1. Create the Box example with spheres for feet
  2. Make the box wider in the X-Axis
  3. Select box and feet, assign Locomotion
  4. Walk is generated to the box’s left (with Z-Forward). Not the alternating footstep order.
  5. Change the end-position to be in front of the character and Update the Plan.
  6. Notice the feet are obeying the Step Sequence, but they’re not alternating like they did in step 4

I gave it a try, is this not what you are seeing?

1 Like

Dang, I don’t see this :confused: In my case, both front feet move forward first, then the hind feet together, then forward feet, and so on…

Edit: Does the selection order matter?

The selection order determines the order in which each foot is ordered in that Step Sequencer window. I typically pick things in a circular pattern. But you can redraw the steps afterwards too.

(Sneak peak of the next release :blush:)

3 Likes

WHOA!! That’s pretty cool! Looking forward to it! :smiley:

As for the walking direction, is it possible to set the end position before running the Locomotion?

Do you mean before Assign Plan? There is not, but what difference do you expect it would make? The end position is completely editable, the default is just a starting point.

Honestly, I’m not sure what it would/could do besides skipping one step in the creation of the Locomotion.

As for my case, it’s still giving me the odd result where both “front” feet step forward at the same time. Not sure still what’s happening. Your results would be nice to get :smiley:

But does it skip a step? Maybe I’m not following.

Before

1. Assign Locomotion
  2. Move end position
  3. Profit

After

1. Set end position
  2. Assign Locomotion
  3. Profit

The feet moving first is determined by that step sequence, which you can paint (Ctrl to remove, Shift to add).

There’s a first section of this livestream that covers the basics, it should get you going.