Live Mode not always matching poses

Hi Ragdoll people,

absolutely in love with the newest update. Spent the past few days playing around with it, but running into a little trouble with live posing and transferring said pose back to the rig. In most of my ragdolled characters (which are admittedly very primitive slapdash rigs) they don’t always match the poses well, or once they are transferred back to the joints, end up strange angles. I’m probably doing something wrong, but I haven’t yet found out what it is!

Thanks for reporting this.

Can you confirm whether you have any limits on the arms? Can you try unlocking the rotate channels if so? I think this is related to some orientations not being possible with the currently locked channels. This can happen with complex limits; limits with axes that don’t align with the Maya axes.

If possible, are you able to upload the .rag file for this? That would enable me to test for this case specifically.

Thank you for the prompt response!

Yes, there were limits on every marker, but turning them off yielded the same result. As this is supposed to be a sort of marionette, the limits were pretty generous anyway.

limits
Axes/limits something like this. Joint orientation badly optimized - could that be a factor?

I’m on Ragdoll Complete, and this puppet is far beyond the ten marker limit I’m afraid!

Limits are fine, you can keep those. But look at the Rotate X, Y and Z channels of those joints, in the Maya Channel Box. Are they locked? See if unlocking them helps to transfer the simulated values back onto the joints.

No, they’re completely clear. As far as I can see there’s nothing else influencing them.

Okay, good/bad news - I completely redid the skeleton and took a bit more care checking orientations and such, and as you can see:

As you can see - seems to be completely down to shoddy rigging on my end!

Both good and bad news indeed! It should cope with any skeleton you throw at it, so I’d love to get to the bottom of what went wrong above. Would you be able to send the Maya file? You can exclude the mesh if you’d like, I really only need the skeleton and possibly Markers too; as Capsules is fine too.

Sent you the file!

1 Like

Hey guys, I’m having the exact same issue, so I’d love some clarity on what to look for to ensure poses are accurate:

As per the latest tutorials, the Markers are assigned to the joints, in this case only the spine up and through each arm. I’ve tried this with and without limits applied and so far nothing I do works. Cache is cleared, there’s only one animation layer AND, the best part, I’m only ‘Live’ animating the left arm yet the right arm get’s an errant pose applied to it as well when I hit ‘Transfer’ (circled in green). As you can see, the Markers are in the intended pose, and the joints are clearly nowhere near them.

• Markers were not created in the characters T-Pose, but rather in an already existing animation, so I thought perhaps that was a potential reason?
  • All joints with Markers are Retargeted to their respective control. I’ve able to successfully record Ragdoll onto the control rig.

Thanks again!!

-Steven

Tried a zeroed out T-Pose of the character and the same thing happens, so clearly there is something wrong with the rig/joints, but what that is is a mystery. That’s what will help here if we can discern what a ‘Ragdoll legal’ skeleton looks like.

EDIT: Also assigned Markers to the Controls (instead of the joints with retargeting) to see if that made any difference…same issue.

Hey @StevenB, it’s not clear from your screenshot whether there is anything other than a joint hierarchy in your scene; but from your issue I gather there is a normal Maya control rig involved as well?

The transfer mechanic of Live Mode is very limited in how it is able to transfer a pose back onto your character; it only understands a plain, normal, dull FK hierarchy.

If your character consisted of only joints, then you would automatically fulfil the requirements for Live Mode Transfer. But as soon as you have anything other than a plain FK hierarchy - even if it means just having a constraint involved for space switching or if some rotation axes are not zeroed out, or some pivot has changed - anything other than a plain FK hierarchy and transferring a pose out of Live Mode cannot work.

Have a look here for details.

Ooooooh. Yea I was jumping all over the place to corral all the latest info on how to use Ragdoll and I simply missed that little paragrah!

What’s funny is that I was going to ask about that ‘Live Compatibility Workaround’ video, not understanding what the specific circumstances were versus any other “Maya rig”…now I know!

Thanks Marcus!!

-Steven