How to blend Kinematic without affecting the position of the sim?

Hello,

Thank you for the amazing tool!

Just was wondering if anyone knows how to blend Kinematic marker without affecting the position of the whole sim?

In my case I have exhaust pipes controller animated on a rig to look like they vibrate. I want to propagate that vibration across all sim, but when I turn on Kinematic Behavior it does this, but also affects the position of the whole sim.

Tried messing with different behaviors and advanced world position, but it’s either no effect at all or same as above.

Not sure if Im explaining it properly, so I made a video:

Would appreciate any help!

Hi! welcome to the forums!

Cool looking asset!

When the engine part is fully Kinematic its almost as if it has full control over anything it’s attached to.

Try increase the mass of the marker for the engine vibration and make sure it has Translate Motion = Soft

I did a tips and tricks for a heart beat which would act the same…

Hope this helps

J

1 Like

Thank you for your reply! Wow, that’s geniously simple, gonna try that right now! Thx!

1 Like

Hi @kgr, did you manage to figure this one out? :open_mouth: Would love to see the result!

Hello! Yes, just used Jason’s genius idea and stuck a “heart” into it connected to the pipe animation and it just works! Thanks so much!

Here is a quick test and setup.

3 Likes

Oh wow this looks fantastic! :heart_eyes: Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Nice… smart ! Great stuff… well done

Is that marker manager panel something built on? Or did you customize it?

Thank you! If you refer to Retarget Marker Options window - that’s just built in under Ragdoll → Edit → Retarget Option Box → Editor tab

2 Likes

Thank you… beautiful… I did not know that… I will have to spend more time clicking all the options to learn more.

Have a look at some examples of the Retargeting UI here:

2 Likes

Small update on this one:

Reworked it with Newton Fields on each propeller marker Used as Source which push it upwards on each propeller. The top fins also use the same field, but a little less strong. Now it’s being held in the air by seperate pin constraints on the front fins with translation constraints only. And a pin on the front body that only constraints rotation slightly to keep it upright. The fields are also limited by attenuation and max distance.

Fun thing that I’ve discovered is that markers weight increase with rotation as mentioned somewhere in the documentation. So the Newton Field pushes the drone higher the faster the propellers rotate as their mass increase and has more influence on the rest of the markers.

Additionally there is a semi custom Speed rig running that tracks drone’s speed and tilts the drone forward/ backwards depending on the percentage of change in it’s speed to replicate breaking/ accelerating.

The tip we discussed here about adjusting marker’s pivots was life saving when working with this and other rigs, which are mostly not bones based.

3 Likes

This looks magnificent, and with a nice render too. Thanks for sharing!

This isn’t right, not sure what you are seeing here. Having the weight (mass) increase in the context of fields would mean fields should have less of a visible effect; but even that isn’t always true because some fields - possibly Newton - are independent of mass. Like gravity, for example. Objects fall equally fast regardless of their mass. But Air on the other hand would be dependent on it.

2 Likes

Huh, thank you for clarification on how this works!

Interpreted what I was seeing as Angular Mass described here. But it must have been messed up pivots on the propellers which made it sort of micro freak out beyond it’s supposed position and kind of continuously pull other markers slightly due to spinning over 360 degrees many times per second and having only X channel unlocked on them. Cause it was behaving differently with them spinning and not spinning. Newton Fields were all in negative values of ~-10000 each or so btw. Anyway, good to know what to expect for sanity check! :laughing:

1 Like