Expedition

Fast food!

Looks like there are some constraints or world space markers pulling the octopus backwards, might get some better results leaving the octopus in local space and distance constrain him to the claws,

For the ground, there’s a great function called assign environment that will take a high res static geo and use it as a collider.

Oh thank you, I didn’t know that.

Yeah, you could totally make due without those distance constraints and world pose space. Looks like the solver is struggling quite a bit. Have you considered reparenting those tentacles to the main body?

Keeping separate things together can be achieved a little easier since the latest release, with the next Attach Constraint. It’ll behave a bit more reliably and simply than the Distance Constraint for this kind of task.

Cool, Thank you.
I have an older version, this attach constrain is very useful.

Do you know what is the issue here?
It comes out when I try to record the simulation:

// Warning: ragdoll.format_exception_wrapper() - Traceback (most recent call last):
File “\Documents\maya\modules\Ragdoll-2022_07_20\scripts\ragdoll\interactive.py”, line 161, in format_exception_wrapper
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “\Documents\maya\modules\Ragdoll-2022_07_20\scripts\ragdoll\interactive.py”, line 2110, in record_markers
for step, progress in instance.record():
File “\Documents\maya\modules\Ragdoll-2022_07_20\scripts\ragdoll\recording.py”, line 215, in record
for progress in it:
File “\Documents\maya\modules\Ragdoll-2022_07_20\scripts\ragdoll\recording.py”, line 486, in _cache_to_curves
assert self._cache, “Must call _sim_to_cache() first”
AssertionError: Must call _sim_to_cache() first

Thanks in advance.

Hm, unclear. Does it happen in a new scene, with just 1 assigned box? What does your scene look like, anything stand out?

I tried it in a new scene and it works fine there. I don’t know what could have caused the problem in the other one.

Hey!

I would like to ask for some help.
I try to add a high res geo to collider (it works fine with locomotion terrain)

I tried the mesh extract method but I didn’t succeed with it.
Screen Shot 07-24-22 at 02.17 PM

I think I’m doing something wrong.

Right here :slight_smile: , this should help.

wow, thank you!

1 Like

I just experimenting with some underwater environment.
I set the air density to 10 and the gravity to -200, this gave me the smoother result.

I just animate the Octopus root a little bit , and gave the tentacles some ultra basic movement.
I set the first bones at the tentacles to Custom 0, Stiffnes 0.03
I distance contrains the first bones to the head first bone, and side by side, I think this gives a little more believable results the translate movement for the tentacles first bones, plus they don’t slide over each other.

I animated the Stiffness a little bit when weaving.

3 Likes

Hm, ok. If you manage to find a series of steps I can take to make this error happen, I would very much like to know about it so I can squash it!

Looking sharp!

For your octopus, there was a time when Ragdoll was allergic to there being gaps between limbs. Like the legs currently not having overlap with the body. Today, things are a little less severe, but it is still an impossible configuration. In reality, the legs could simply not have that distance from the body and Ragdoll is ultimately limited to reality. Bottom line is you’ll find much more stability in the solver if you scale up the lower part of that octopus, such that the legs overlap it. Just like how each limb of each leg ha some overlap.

I’ll keep in mind.
I remember small parts of it but not exactly, if it comes up again, I’ll find out and write it down.

A little update:

I would like to present a sequence of scenes where crabby saves the little octopus from the chef, then they go to a journey and cross all kinds of places and environments and at the end they say goodbye to each other in the ocean.

Here is my kitchen shot. I tried to make some sense of it and I made a little environment for it.

And there is all my bananas :smiley:
I have a lot of fun with the cages and the bananas interactions.
I animate the bunch of bananas stiffness here and there.

Here is a shot in which I found a lot of fun :smiley:

Now the Octopus carry the crabby over a dangerous place.
I’m planning a lava flow there, and where is blow them there a little heat blast, with something very simple effect.

I use a lot of distance constraints and the new attach constraints for the carrying.
I pinned the grasping arms and animate the pins and the stiffnesses.
I animated the Octopus root with some ultra basic animation, and all other things is the ragdoll.

For the final form, I plan to simply fill in the background and the environment, but all my shots will be viewport renders, and I will cut them together.

I think it will be more than 8 MB
Is it okay if I upload it to YouTube and then link it here?

Guys I love this tool it has a lot of potential, thank you very much for developing it!

4 Likes

Holy mowly this is fantastic! :star_struck:

Yes; my only concern is with preserving the video for future Ragdollers, years from now when links have died out. If possible, if you could also post a smaller version that fit within 8 mb that would be perfect. :ok_hand:

For the chopstick at the beginning, is the claw Kinematic by any chance? I expect you’d be able to squeeez some more realism out of it by either Distance Constraining the claw to both chopsticks, such that they are free to rotate around that axis, or reparent the claw to one of the kinematic chopsticks, such that you can give it a limit that allows rotation only around one axis. Like an elbow.

Alternatively, it’s possible some simple animation could help break that rigidness of the claw as it’s being lifted around.

Other than that, the banana scene looks fantastic, the transition into a walk looks great, the pickup of the octopus and the octopus itself looks great. Five stars mate! :star:

:heart:

2 Likes

Of course.

I pinned the claw, but I will change it to what you recommend.

Thank you very much!

This is pretty frekken cool! Great concept !! Love seeing this come together! The octopus carrying the crab!! Genius !! Notice you have distance constraints keeping the legs attached to the body - interesting concept , have you tried soft transforms to get some stretching between the markers ?

J

1 Like

Thank you very much!

Yeah I use distance constrains, and a little custom 0, stiffness, ∼0.4.
I didn’t know that option, how can I set the soft tranforms up?

Also called “Soft Joints” and “Translate Motion”.

Have a look here.

1 Like

This is my final submission.

I learned a lot about the Ragdoll Dynamics but I still have to learn a lot to find the phases in my workflow where I can use it well.

Thank you guys for the challenge!

I had a lot of fun with my little shots, I didn’t have much time, but I tried to make the most of it.
It is a little raw and it could use a little polish pass but I hope you like it!

Here is my final submission:

And there is the compressed version of it within 8MB:

8 Likes