Expedition

I’m not sure, should I post all my progression here, it would be a good point or just the final submission, in the end, to not spoil the fun? :smiley:

My vote goes to showing progress. :slight_smile: Gives you a chance to ask about stuff too, would be happy to help out!

1 Like

Here is some progression:

I created a little friend for the lonely crabby :smiley:

So they will be able to go a little adventure together.

And there is it the ultra wip shot which still needs to be fine-tuned.

1 Like

When I created the animation, I ran into a question:

How can I set multiple joints limit at the same time?

If you have multiple markers selected if you adjust one it will effect all of them - tip- turn off symmetry selection in the manipulator to shift select multiple markers

1 Like
1 Like

Thank you!

A little progress with this shot.

Fast food!

Looks like there are some constraints or world space markers pulling the octopus backwards, might get some better results leaving the octopus in local space and distance constrain him to the claws,

For the ground, there’s a great function called assign environment that will take a high res static geo and use it as a collider.

Oh thank you, I didn’t know that.

Yeah, you could totally make due without those distance constraints and world pose space. Looks like the solver is struggling quite a bit. Have you considered reparenting those tentacles to the main body?

Keeping separate things together can be achieved a little easier since the latest release, with the next Attach Constraint. It’ll behave a bit more reliably and simply than the Distance Constraint for this kind of task.

Cool, Thank you.
I have an older version, this attach constrain is very useful.

Do you know what is the issue here?
It comes out when I try to record the simulation:

// Warning: ragdoll.format_exception_wrapper() - Traceback (most recent call last):
File “\Documents\maya\modules\Ragdoll-2022_07_20\scripts\ragdoll\interactive.py”, line 161, in format_exception_wrapper
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “\Documents\maya\modules\Ragdoll-2022_07_20\scripts\ragdoll\interactive.py”, line 2110, in record_markers
for step, progress in instance.record():
File “\Documents\maya\modules\Ragdoll-2022_07_20\scripts\ragdoll\recording.py”, line 215, in record
for progress in it:
File “\Documents\maya\modules\Ragdoll-2022_07_20\scripts\ragdoll\recording.py”, line 486, in _cache_to_curves
assert self._cache, “Must call _sim_to_cache() first”
AssertionError: Must call _sim_to_cache() first

Thanks in advance.

Hm, unclear. Does it happen in a new scene, with just 1 assigned box? What does your scene look like, anything stand out?

I tried it in a new scene and it works fine there. I don’t know what could have caused the problem in the other one.

Hey!

I would like to ask for some help.
I try to add a high res geo to collider (it works fine with locomotion terrain)

I tried the mesh extract method but I didn’t succeed with it.
Screen Shot 07-24-22 at 02.17 PM

I think I’m doing something wrong.

Right here :slight_smile: , this should help.

wow, thank you!

1 Like

I just experimenting with some underwater environment.
I set the air density to 10 and the gravity to -200, this gave me the smoother result.

I just animate the Octopus root a little bit , and gave the tentacles some ultra basic movement.
I set the first bones at the tentacles to Custom 0, Stiffnes 0.03
I distance contrains the first bones to the head first bone, and side by side, I think this gives a little more believable results the translate movement for the tentacles first bones, plus they don’t slide over each other.

I animated the Stiffness a little bit when weaving.

3 Likes

Hm, ok. If you manage to find a series of steps I can take to make this error happen, I would very much like to know about it so I can squash it!

Looking sharp!

For your octopus, there was a time when Ragdoll was allergic to there being gaps between limbs. Like the legs currently not having overlap with the body. Today, things are a little less severe, but it is still an impossible configuration. In reality, the legs could simply not have that distance from the body and Ragdoll is ultimately limited to reality. Bottom line is you’ll find much more stability in the solver if you scale up the lower part of that octopus, such that the legs overlap it. Just like how each limb of each leg ha some overlap.