Enemies from venus

Hello there Ragdoll people! I posted here before about a short film I was developing featuring ragdoll dynamics as the main animation and performance component, and I’m happy to say it’s done, and picked up an award already! I’ve always wanted to do a proper 60s british puppet scifi homage and when I first laid eyes on Ragdoll a bit over a year ago or so, I suspected I’d finally found a proper tool to achieve what I wanted - and the suspicion turned out to be true.

All characters, vehicles and dynamic objects here are animated solely through ragdoll. I encountered a lot of problems during the process, but none of those were a result of RD. Thanks Marcus and Jason, who shepherded me through some early confusion!

4 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

So much to enjoy! My favourite part has to be getting thrown into the tube, followed by being thrown out of it. :slight_smile: So much life in the movements, they look truly connected to the world they inhabit. Excellent work all around!

2 Likes

Thank you! True to ragdoll’s nature, the tube scene was conceived of very late and had a very rapid turnaround - to have the chair actually physically propel the puppet was such a natural way to tackle it!

2 Likes

That was masterful, @Ernst-Jan ! The script, the characters, animation – all of it!
I also loved the sounds, both the character voices and the action sounds, which really helps selling that 50s or 60s vibe (which I’m also very weak for).

Looking forward seeing more of your works!