Ragdoll in a Nutshell pt. 1 - Introduction

Hi all,

Following SIGGRAPH and presenting to a live crowd - over and over and over :sweat_smile: - I found a nice and condensed way of demonstrating what Ragdoll is and what it can do. I’ve encapsulated that in this 20 minute video for your viewing pleasure. :blush:

Any questions, or requests for what to demo next, this is the place to say it!

Enjoy! :partying_face:

9 Likes

Thanks for this.

It would be great to update some of the other training videos that were using previous versions of the plugin, such as the firewolf one, as some of the option names have changed in the newer versions of the plugin.

4 Likes

yeh I found this much more helpful than the written tutorials. More like this would be awesome!

Hey @marcus, I have a character that has a single pelvis bones basically with a lot of extremities that branch off of it. When I hit assign and connect, it works for an arm basically, but if I select the pelvis and another limb, it doesn’t also then connect it to the pelvis bone if that makes sense. It only allows one to branch off that particular bone. Can you think of what I might be doing wrong? I see here it’s allowing you to add limbs off of the spine, and also the legs off the pelvis, which is basically your root.

If I understand you correctly, you are seeing something like this?

In that case, it’s a matter of the default shape only taking your first assignment into account, you can manually refit the shape.

There’s also an option to re-compute that default shape, taking all of your branching Markers into account. It’s more or less the bounding box of all children to the root.

Did that help?

Yes, that answers it. Thanks!

Although, I’m getting this in a hamd and finger type of setup. Is this because I’m one too many bones down the chain probably?

When you select a Maya node and run Assign or Assign and Connect, the node you select can’t already have been assigned. Can you double-check in the Outliner and make sure none of the selected objects have been assigned?